Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tenemos Gallinas!

The price of food here is insane. It is amlost the same price as it is in the states. Here is an example:

Milk = $1.00 for a litre
Eggs = $3.50 for 15 eggs
Cheese = $3.00 for 8oz of cheddar

What I don’t understand is that wages here are so low! I pay Flori $1.50/hour and she is probably the highest paid nanny in town. The going rate for a nanny is about $.90/hour. So, how do people afford groceries? I just don’t get it. On top of all of that, they pay for water and electricity (obviously) which just went up by something like 40%.

So, I decided that it would be a good idea to buy some chickens so I can have fresh eggs every day. I paid $30 for five chickens and this morning Claire, Henry and I went to the hen house and collected our breakfast. It was AWESOME!

Claire loves the chickens but she refused to stick her arm in the hen house to get the eggs. Not because she was afraid of the hens (and they are big!) but because she didn’t like the poop on the floor. She is such a delicate flower.

Side Note: So much has happened in the last month it is hard to try to blog it all. So, I am starting today and Ben honey, I PROMISE to be better!!!



1 comment:

Katie Lipka said...

$3.50US for 15 eggs? That's more expensive than here! Even if you're getting cage-free organic eggs with omega-3s and other "healthy" additives!

Raising chickens is a recent trend here in the bay area. You are so IN baby!

Who built your cool hen hut!!?? And is it made of bamboo??!!

Anyway, it sounds really awesome.