Monday, June 9, 2008

Claire's New School

Finally - she has kids to play with and a school to attend. Last week was her first full week at 'Centro Infantil' - they take kids from 2-12 years old. I don't know why it has the name Infantil but, it does. It is brand spankin' new. New toys, new curtains, new swingset - new everything. It is a first for San Marcos and they opened on Monday. We were the very first people to enroll a kid and we did it Monday morning. I was worried that Claire would not really want us to leave since the only kid there was the teacher's child and neither she nor her assistant speak a bit of English but, here is the dialogue that we had:

Me: "honey, grandma and I are going to go grocery shopping and we will be back in about 20 minutes - does that sound okay?"

Claire: "can you come back later than that?"

When we returned about an hour later she didn't want to leave. The second day I told her I would be back in 4 hours and she said, "how about 5?" On Thursday I called a cab (since we don't have a car) to come and pick me up so I could go and get her and then come back to the house. I walked down to my gate and here was Claire. Apparently my Spanish wasn't so hot over the phone and the cab driver went to pick her up and he brought her home. She was cool as a cucumber and said, "hey mom! I came home with Carlos all by myself! But, I didn't talk to him."
(Yes, Carlos is on the pick-up list)

So, she loves it. Every morning at 8am they start a preschool lesson which is all in Spanish. I think she understands some of it and in a few weeks i'll bet she will be speaking fairly fluently with the rest of the kids! There are now at least 6 enrolled and hopefully they fill up because if they don't, they will close and then I will cry.





No comments: