Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fistfights & Boyfriends

It was a monumental day yesterday. Claire had her neighbor friend Isaac over for a playdate. He is a sweet, 6 year old boy who lived in the states for the last three years and speaks perfect English.

Here is how it went.

I was sitting outside working on my computer.

Isaac: "Darcie, what would happen if Claire was my girlfriend?"
Me: "Well, she is a girl and she is your friend so I guess she is your girlfriend."
Isaac: (with a confused look on his face) "huh"
Me: "Would you like her to be your girlfriend?"
Isaac: (wide eyed, enthusiastic nodding) "Yeah!"
Me: "Okay then!"

He immediately ran back to Claire and I peeked in through the window to watch this 'courtship' unfold.

Isaac: "Claire! Guess what! Your mom said that you could be my girlfriend!"
Claire: (looking at me giving her a thumb's up through the window) "Okay."

So, I guess the deal is sealed. Maybe I shouldn't have been so encouraging?

Then, about an hour later. . .

Isaac: "Daaaarrrrrciiiieee, Henry hit me!"
I went inside to see Henry sitting, staring silently at the floor.
Me: "Henry, hitting is not nice. Isaac is sad because you hit him."
Henry: (looking up at me with the most pathetic, hurt face) "Waaaaaaaaaaah"
Me: "Isaac, did you hit Henry back?"
Isaac: "Well, yeah, it is because he hit me."

It is good that they are starting young.

1 comment:

Ben Peters said...

Ok - I think maybe you clear the whole boyfriend thing with Claire in the future. She should understand that it is, after all, her decision... at least until I say no.